Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Bob Dylan - Self Portrait (1970)

 

Side A:
1. Alberta #1
2. Days of '49
3. Early Mornin' Rain
4. In Search of Little Sadie
5. Little Sadie
6. Belle Isle

Side B:
7. Copper Kettle
8. Gotta Travel On
9. Blue Moon
10. The Boxer
11. Take Me As I Am (Or Let Me Go)
12. Take a Message to Mary
13. Alberta #2

Here's my single album reconstruction of Bob Dylan's double cover album Self Portrait. At the time it was called Dylan's worst album. Part of it was cause Dylan used an alternate voice on some of the songs that he had been using since his last album as part of his "country phase". I tried getting rid of the songs that use it on the first side but by the second side it was unavoidable. I also tried to keep just the covers and get rid of originals and live tracks.

I'll give Dylan respect for wanting to cover songs from the Great American Songbook, but one interesting thing is that he covered a Simon and Garfunkel song that came out earlier that year. One song I got rid of was the instrumental Wigwam which was the album's only single. For this version I nominate Copper Kettle. It's not my favorite but it might've done well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Grateful Dead - Kingfish (1976)

  Side A: 1. Might as Well - Jerry Garcia 2. Lazy Lightnin' - Bob Weir 3. Razooli - Mickey Hart 4. They Love Each Other - Jerry Garcia 5...